Friday, September 17, 2010

SAHMs don't get sick days.

I have been running myself ragged this past week and eating fast food or low prep meals (that are less than nutritious!). As a result the past couple days I have been feeling pretty crummy, though that has not stopped me. Today I can't keep up this pace anymore. I woke up with a terrible sore throat and bad phlegm (attrative, I know). So along with the gift of snow, I am declaring a day off and hoping that no one calls to see the house tonight.

The only problem with being a SAHM and taking a day off, is that you really don't get "off". I enterained the kids with lovely cable and a basket of toys in the middle of the living rm. But still have to get off my duff and make lunch, do a load of clothes, change diapers, etc. When all I want to do is curl up with some Vicks and a good book, take a snooze and NOT go pick up children in this dreadful snow! (whine, whine, whine!) To make up for things (and since I have to cook anyway), I decided to make our favorite Olive Garden knock off, Chicken and Gnocchi Zuppe! Maybe I can even find a way to re-create the breadsticks!


Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Ingredients:

1 Rotisserie chicken, chopped

4 cups chicken stock

2 cups half & half or milk

1 stalk celery, diced

1 garlic clove, chopped

1/2 carrot, shredded

1/2 onion, diced

1 cup fresh spinach, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon thyme

salt and pepper

16 oz potato gnocchi

1 tablespoon cornstarch


Directions:

1 Saute onions, celery, garlic, carrot in oil over medium heat until onion is translucent.

2 Add chicken, chicken stock, half and half, salt and pepper, thyme. Heat to boiling then add gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 minutes, then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes.

3 Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.

4 Optional: (Heat to boiling and add cornstarch dissolved in 1-2 Tbsp water at this point if you want a thicker soup.)

5 Ladle into bowl and serve!


Pic from copykat.com Recipe from Food.com
Add on: Here is the rec for OG's breadsticks right from their site! Enjoy!
1 Cup water
2 cup wheat flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly. Roll into breadstick shapes and Bake at 450* for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic salt and serve!

1 comment:

Rachel Melone said...

I'm totally trying the soup. Looks delicious and super easy!! Yea for the house selling also!! :)