Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Recipe Wednesday-Ranch Potato Salad


I have heard that as you get older, your tastebuds begin to change. While that is true for me with many things (onions and pickles to name a few), I still have not found a taste for mustard. So with this as my dilemma, I have never been able to enjoy potato salad. (Just the few required bites, so that I don't seem rude). And since next week is the Fourth of July and potato salad will be out in abundance, I thought I would share with you this AMAZING potato salad that my aunt from Oklahoma made last year for my dad's 50th. It was flying out of the bowl! I only tried to make it once and while the "sauce(?)" was delicious, I didn't cook the potatoes quite long enought so there were a few "crunchy" ones. But people ate it anyway (probably just choking it down so as not to seem rude!) Well here it is:

P.S. I was hoping to share my sister famous preztel strawberry dessert, but couldn't get in contact with her for this blog!

Ingredients:
1 (1oz) powdered package of Ranch dressing mix
2 cups mayonnaise (I go for full fat, but you could probably use the light)
3/4 cup chopped green onion
1 pound of bacon slices (I just used the pre-cooked microwave kind)
5 pounds of unpeeled red potatoes (I like the butter reds, they have a good taste)

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add whole potatoes and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes (I should've went longer). Drain, run under cold water to cool, and chop into 1 inch cubes. Transfer to a large serving bowl and refridgerate until completely chilled
2. In a small bowl, stir together the ranch dressing mix, mayonnaise and green onion. (Here I only did 1 1/2 cups of mayo and 1/2 cup buttermilk, yum!) and green onion. Cover and refridgerate about 2 hours to blend flavors.
3. Wrap bacon in paper towels and microwave until crisp, then let cool. (or do as I did and just buy the pre-cooked bacon that is already cooled!)
4. Stir the mayonnaise mixture, crumbled bacon and potatoes together and serve!

Let me know if any of you try it! Also if you haven't guessed, I just got the picture from the internet, I know, false advertisement, but I it's hard to have a blog without a picture!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

go to www.allrecipestasteofhome.com
for your strawberry pretzel salad. loveya. J

Anonymous said...

that sounds delicious. I might actually consider sparing bacon for this recipe!!

Cortney said...

That was it, Jackie! If anyone needs a dessert, the Strawberry Pretzel salad is wonderful! I think I may even add blueberries to give it a festive feel!